Thursday, April 19, 2012

Jonathan Frid of Original Dark Shadows Dies

Jonathan Frid the iconic actor who played Barnabas Collins in the original Dark Shadows died of natural causes on April 13th, 2012 at the age of 87.

I was a teenager when the original soap opera, Dark Shadows was on TV in the afternoon. I would run home from school to watch it. I think I can owe my intense interest in vampires, witches/witchcraft/supernatural etc. from this show alone.

Whatever I remember from this show are mere glimpses, but I do remember the dark feeling of the show and the way each actor played their rolls that gripped me.

So, we say goodbye to the man who basically kept the vampire legend alive in his own life-time.

Here is a link to Kathryn Leigh Scott's blog. A lot more photos of the actor and actress and information on the show and related links as well.

2 comments:

Dora Dee said...

RIP. As I asked on FB, was there no write up?

As I suspected. It must have happened late on Friday the 13th and since the weekends are my writing marathons starting Friday night, I probably did not check my Twitter or FB as much as I usually do. Someone made a joke about it today on Twitter saying that Jonathan Frid probably died of fright after seeing what Johnny Depp did with his character!!! I was shocked to say the least. I have to say -- I didn't think that Burton was doing a spoof -- I thought it was going to be a serious movie!!!

Anyway, I loved the show as well. He was soooo good. I even bought a couple of the released DVD of Dark Shadows as I had mentioned to you. Not all of them of course and one day maybe I'll write about them but the episodes I saw were as captivating as ever.

Hope you're doing well Lorelei. I need to do some major inroads on my novel this weekend. For some reason I thought that a first novel should have at least 90 pages so I'm thinking I have plenty of plots to go around until I realized that I need at least double that amount!!! So, now I'm scrambling to come up with the other half of the book!!

Saturday I may get to meet another writer I met on Writer's Digest who I've become friends with, whose daughter goes to college near where I live. We missed each other once before and I hope it doesn't happen again. I'll let you know how it goes...

Hope you have a good weekend.

Lorelei Bell said...

Thanks for stopping by, hon. I'm doing okay. Busy, as usual.

Good luck on your book and linking up with the friend (^;

Hope your weekend of writing is good.